Both of The Dogs Seem To Be Okay

Two days ago, my neighbor, a nice guy but a bit of a stunad, saw a rat near his shed so he put some rat poison in there and then went about his business. His dog went in through the still-open door and ate all the poison.  Quick trip to the emergency vet, a bout of induced emesis, $270.00 and she was pronounced ok.

Yesterday, I looked out the kitchen window and saw my dog tossing a limp rat around in the back yard. I chased him down and got him to drop the rat, which was dead and totally covered in dog slobber. There was no blood and the rat corpse seemed to be intact except for a small puncture in its tail.

You don’t have to be a detective to figure out that the rat ate Stunad’s poison and then staggered over here to die. Whether it was dead or not when Stedman first found it is beside the point. The point is that he had it in his mouth and was licking it, chewing on it, sucking on it for who knows how long. Long enough to saturate it top to bottom. So … you know … at risk for secondary poisoning.

Internet wisdom is conflicted about whether he is in immediate jeopardy or not. He seems ok and is eating and playing and looking for more wildlife now that he’s got a taste for it.  I’m watching his gums and eyeballs for color change but Internet says it could take time for symptoms of poisoning to show up – sometimes months.

I’m going to be in a really, really bad mood if my dog is poisoned.

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Both of The Dogs Seem To Be Okay

  1. Your dog’s name is Stedman? Is there an interesting story to that?

    Call your vet and ask them this question. They will be able to give you the best advise. Good luck – I’d hate to see your fella get sick.

    • No real story, Lily B. This is our third family dog and it was my daughter’s turn to pick the name. She could not be persuaded away from this name and so here we are.

      I guess I will have to call the vet for advice.

  2. Oh dear! And yes, dog can be poisoned from eating poisoned wild life. Hopefully since he did not actually eat nasty rat he’ll be ok. But I sure would call my vet in the same situation.

  3. Your vet may want to give him a charcoal cocktail just to be sure?

    I wish they’d ban rat poison, not only dangerous for our pets, but their natural predators too. It never fails, our idiot neighbors put it out, the critters end up dying in my yard 😦

    We use tiny hava-heart traps, catch ’em and release them a few miles away. Awwwww ….. 🙂

  4. Your neighbor should buy a terrier. Ours have managed to keep the local wildlife under control for years. Of course, they tend to bark, so that’s a downside.

    Hav-a-heart traps are a problem ever since NJ passed a law mandating all the places you *can’t* release a trapped animal. E.g. the nanny-staters in Trenton said we couldn’t release the woodchucks we used to catch in the nearby swamp since it is a wildlife preservation area.

    So instead of preserving the wildlife here, we let the dogs kill it or, if there is a real problem, I use a shovel on it and pitch it into the compost pile.

    Sometimes (rarely) you can oust them with sulphur bombs, but mostly those just make you smell like a used cap pistol.

  5. Holy moly. I think I’d call the vet, too. Steadman isn’t a big hulking dog like Dot. I get creeped out when she roots around in the unknown-poison-vegetation hereabouts. I’m sure he’s okay,but just to be sure.

  6. Pingback: Update to “The Incident” « Cripes Suzette

  7. Pingback: Let’s Get It Started Already | Cripes Suzette

  8. Pingback: The Best of Suzette « Cripes Suzette

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s