Two days ago, my neighbor, a nice guy but a bit of a stunad, saw a rat near his shed so he put some rat poison in there and then went about his business. His dog went in through the still-open door and ate all the poison. Quick trip to the emergency vet, a bout of induced emesis, $270.00 and she was pronounced ok.
Yesterday, I looked out the kitchen window and saw my dog tossing a limp rat around in the back yard. I chased him down and got him to drop the rat, which was dead and totally covered in dog slobber. There was no blood and the rat corpse seemed to be intact except for a small puncture in its tail.
You don’t have to be a detective to figure out that the rat ate Stunad’s poison and then staggered over here to die. Whether it was dead or not when Stedman first found it is beside the point. The point is that he had it in his mouth and was licking it, chewing on it, sucking on it for who knows how long. Long enough to saturate it top to bottom. So … you know … at risk for secondary poisoning.
Internet wisdom is conflicted about whether he is in immediate jeopardy or not. He seems ok and is eating and playing and looking for more wildlife now that he’s got a taste for it. I’m watching his gums and eyeballs for color change but Internet says it could take time for symptoms of poisoning to show up – sometimes months.
I’m going to be in a really, really bad mood if my dog is poisoned.